Sign in to follow this  
ParadymShift

Jedi

The dreaded topic, but important to be covered. This thread will be a WIP until we launch, there will be some fine tuning but to summarize how we feel about Jedi.

Jedi should be a rewarding experience for the grind, we aren't going to be "nerfing" Jedi; no sweeping changes to their trees, no sweeping changes to the village or FRS system no crazy swings of the nerf bat. Too often we've seen knee jerk changes made that impact all sides of the Jedi ecology that it leaves bad tastes in peoples mouths.

Here are some of the changes we are looking at for things impacting Jedi.

Visibility generated by humanoids is ramped up, in the age of plentiful commlinks post order 66, someones gonna see that and rat you out, Holonetgram with that "CHECK OUT THIS #JEDI #WHATHAPPENEDTOORDER66"

Bounties will be increased for BH's, though taking a Jedi will still be difficult without gearing up and preparing appropriately. Preparation in our opinion and good gear makes a world of difference in these interactions.

Saberblock will be reduced  while K/D. It currently isn't impacted it makes actually sticking a KD on a Jedi worthless beyond disengaging or making them stop hitting you.

We will ensure that other Jedi do not generate visibility while grinding, it makes no sense that your guildies would generate visibility if they also have a saber. Bringing your Doc alt out though and that will generate visibility.

"Keep it Secret, Keep it Safe" should be the prevailing train of thought if you want to avoid getting on the terminals, just like it was on Live.

This is a very important topic for me.  I have played on a bunch of  emu servers, have had Jedi on most of them, and have left them due to, what in my opinion, is the servers not following their own rules and regulations. I will give an example, but will not mention the server name.  The rules of this server regarding visibility were that visibility would only be obtained from equipping a Jedi lightsaber, robe, or using a Jedi skill within 32 meters of a NONCOMBAT npc or other player, as was stated in the servers forums.  I went to Fort Tusken, did not equip a lightsaber until I was actually there.  I never wear a Jedi robe since my regular clothing has SEA's in it to aid in combat.  I had not played my Jedi in a long time, so had no visibility before getting there, yet the same day I went to Fort Tusken, I was attacked by a BH, while inside a med center.  This raised two questions for me.  How did my Jedi obtain visibility and, to my knowledge BH's were not able to attack a Jedi while inside a public building, so how did this happen? There were no players at Fort Tusken the entire time I was there and again, to my knowledge, there are no NONCOMBAT npc's at Fort Tusken.  I placed a forum post and got an entirely different answer regarding ways a Jedi gains visibility. The answer to my post was by a staff member, who shall remain nameless, and it said Jedi gain visibility when equipping a lightsaber or robe, or using a Jedi skill within 32 meters of ANY npc.  A link was given by the staff member to emu regulation.  What should I believe, a forum post or the information from the link?  I had never seen the information before that the link referred to.  

This was a very unfortunate situation for me as my Jedi was full template, which I am sure everyone knows is about 75+ million Jedi xp. So I am wondering if the visibility on Tarkin 2 is gained from being within a certain distance of ANY npc or a NONCOMBAT npc or player. I just want to know beforehand how things stand. There were replies to my post by players asking me to stay on the server and to be honest, I think the server was having low population problems. I liked the server, but I will not play on a server that does not follow its own guides. I would also like to know if BH's on Tarkin 2 will be able to obtain armor with lightsaber resists?  On another server I played on, BH's were able to obtain armor with up to 80% lightsaber resists. I quit the server when this was implemented. To me, this was very unfair, especially when up to 5 BH's can attack a single Jedi, and Jedi could not help eachother.  I just want a Jedi to be able to help friends in instances, I am not interested in pvp as I play another game where pvp is all I do.   

• Like 1

We have not made any changes to HOW visibility is gained, with one exception: other player Jedi (rank of initiate and above) do not generate visibility on their fellow Jedi.  All NPCs do, and all players who are not Jedi do.  Beyond that, everything is stock SWGEmu.  (And I'll be honest with you, I haven't dug into the code of exactly what generates vis with regards to distance, etc.  I can tell you that we haven't changed any other aspect of how visibility is generated.)  Without knowing the circumstances of your other server, it is possible that the developers THOUGHT they caught everywhere that visibility was generated in the code, and made their changes, but missed something...the code can often be somewhat convoluted.  It's also possible they thought they understood the code, but didn't.

The AMOUNT of visibility that will get a Jedi on the terminals has been drastically lowered.  From 1500 visibility required to get on the terminals, to 500.  If you do "Jedi stuff" around any humanoid who isn't a fellow Jedi, you'll probably end up on the terminals.  Jedi is not intended to be an alpha class on Tarkin, and is very much a PvP (or hide very, very well) class.  The key to Jedi on Tarkin is "keep it secret, keep it safe."

We have also made no changes to WHERE a BH may attack a Jedi.  This is stock SWGEmu as well, and to the best of my knowledge, they can attack in public buildings.  I have never heard otherwise.  (That said, I could be wrong on this, but we haven't changed anything in this regard, so if it can happen on Basilisk, it can happen here.)

Three BH may take the same mission, not five.  Mission rewards have been raised.

Bounty Hunter armor and Mandalorian armor do have lightsaber resists.  Bounty Hunter armor is made from loot-drop schematics, and Mandalorian armor is made from loot drop schematics, and a piece of Bounty Hunter armor must be used in each craft.

This said, it is and will always be a bit of a process for BH's to get their kit together, we haven't made nor do we have any plans to make sweep changes to BH's to give them a huge edge against Jedi, our goal is to be consistent in our approach to their gameplay and Tarkin has never had a huge BH population, most notably in it's past it has been like two or three players and that's about it. (Myself being one of them and it took me a year to get my Mando the first go round and lost a quarter of it's durability in an extended fight against Wol's Jedi).

Thanks for your input.  What are the requirements for having a Jedi please?

We haven't made any changes to the default EMU approach to acquiring Jedi through profession/badges/etc that are currently in play, I don't imagine we will make many changes if any to the FRS system as well beyond making sure we have verbose logging to mitigate people from fight clubbing or scum bagging through it as that system often led to.

At one point in Tarkins history we used to allow folks after x months of activity/etc but that was before the systems to automatically grant it were in place and to be frank it felt too gatekeepery and it caused a great deal of staff turmoil/burnout and lead to people getting saucy about it.

If I remember correctly, when I played Tarkin 1, the ability to have a Jedi was granted after having mastered 5 elite professions ( not to include those professions that could be obtained from blue frogs)  across all characters on your account.  There was no FRS system in effect at that time and Jedi had to be applied for in the forums.  In addition, the character you wanted to become a Jedi had to be a completely/totally new character with no masteries.  Do you remember this?

Personally, after having several Jedi on severs using the FRS system, I find that the 24 skill points used in the FRS system could be used in other areas with much better effect.  I think the FRS/village should be made voluntary, perhaps even skill point free.  This is purely a personal opinion, but I always regretted "wasting" the skill points in the Village.

Edited by Paribo

Base game Originally you created a new character with your Jedi unlock, but that was back in perma death pre-frs system. After that system they did the Holo grinding, followed by the village .. as Holo grinding completely destroyed the economy on most servers.

I didn't play here the first time you guys did it, so I'm not sure how you went about it. But is the plan the village? And I'm fine with the required 24 points if that's the case. 

I have 0 interest in being a Jedi again, I had 4 on live with 2 of those being pre-pub 9. But I'm very interested in how it's going to go and the requirements. All I ask is no hologrind lol.

I don't think we'll see a return of the old Tarkin system, there was a great deal of gruff about it and since we are a /really/ small staff and are trying to avoid creating systems that require staff to push buttons that aren't "Enable our holiday content, update and revamp POI's"

Whatever the systems SWGEMU builds we will probably not make too many changes, any changes to Jedi ends up being hugely contentious, with that said I am happy to keep an open mind if you have suggestions on how to better improve an experience. 

Full disclosure, Jedi has not and never will be the primary focus of Tarkin or it's staff, it's a trap we've seen too many of our fellow communities get bogged down in it and it makes too many people incapable of having any sort of productive conversation about it.

Again, in my personal opinion, participation in the village needs to be strictly voluntary and skill point free.  While Jedi is my primary focus, if I am to have a Jedi on this server I would like the aforementioned changes to the stock emu Basilisk Jedi. Jedi have enough going against them without losing the 24 skill points in the village. Most of the skills obtained in the village do not benefit Jedi as much as would the use of the 24 skill points in other standard skill trees such as force defense, force healing and force enhancement.  (Master lightsaber is a given and just too good not to have.) If I can get my way, whoopee!!! If not, well that's just life and the way things go. I sincerely hope my thoughts will be considered.

I'll discuss this with Lia, at first glance I don't see any immediate drawbacks to making the skill point requirement changes but I'll talk to her first and roll this into our beta tester discussion group to see what their thoughts are. Thanks for the input Paribo.

OMG, Thank you so much. To even think that my suggestions might come about and be incorporated into the server makes me one happy camper.  I remember on Live that the village used to be skill point free at one time because I remember taking my TKM to the village and earning some of the skills there.  BTW, how does one become a beta tester?

• Like 1

Basically our beta testers are veterans who are active in the discord to facilitate a faster flow of conversation and are basically just picked by me or Lia to gather opinions. Pop into the discord, we talk here and there about little stuff more. https://discord.gg/b4cZ8N

Something I have neglected to mention, since Jedi is a moving target with Emu so we aren't going to sink too many code changes that could cause issues in future code merges as Emu pushes the next publish. 

Hi, sorry, but Discord does not function well on my computer.  No idea why, but I have trouble getting to the chat box to enter a message and then when I am able to message, I can't see the chat. Just life I guess.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:44 PM, ParadymShift said:

I'll discuss this with Lia, at first glance I don't see any immediate drawbacks to making the skill point requirement changes but I'll talk to her first and roll this into our beta tester discussion group to see what their thoughts are. Thanks for the input Paribo.

It has been a while since I made the suggestion to eliminate the skill point requirements in the Village and make the Village voluntary, and I am wondering if there has been any discussion with  the beta tester group and Lia and if so, what their opinions were?

8 hours ago, Paribo said:

It has been a while since I made the suggestion to eliminate the skill point requirements in the Village and make the Village voluntary, and I am wondering if there has been any discussion with  the beta tester group and Lia and if so, what their opinions were?

Reading back through our chat the roughest summary is as follows.

-Making changes to the Village/making it optional aren't tenable at this time while the emu team is still making changes there.

-As far as removing the skill point requirements it opens up too many unforeseen issues with game balance that our very small team cannot test or in good conscience implement. As our team grows and the community grows this may be something we revisit should enough interest exist in this.