Sign in to follow this  
BarounAzure

Mission Scenery

It's a small,petty little complaint, but....

Roaming around Tatooine, you see random spawns - "Spice Fiends" for example. They've got a huge tank farm and a harvester or two. Or Thieves, and they've got some harvs and such. Or Jabba's Swoopers, with a couple landspeeders parked. Or Trandoshan slavers, and they've got a whole campsite.

Take a mission, though, that involves people, and you attack a banner.  Or a power relay. Or some single object that has nothing to do with the text of the mission. 

I'd like to see the code that picks the secondary objects get called in the course of random spawns get called when spawning similar missions. Drive it off looking for keywords in the mission text. 

Alternatively, maybe simpler, when it comes time to spawn the banner,  scan the text of the mission and if  a keyword is found, spawn that object rather than the banner object.  So, if you get a "Disable the X-Wings" mission, instead of the banner looking like a banner, it's a landed X-Wing. You still shoot it like a banner, for all practical purposes it's the banner, it's just skinned to be something from the mission text. 

I know there's a tre file with all the mission text in it... If someone would point me at it, and a list of spawnable objects that could replace the banner, I'd help out by doing the grunt work of making a cross reference table between keyword and asset ID. I'm not really familiar with the server side stuff, but I've written code in schema and Lisp, and read Lua code. Not real comfy jumping in and writing the code just yet, unless someone wanted to mentor me in a big way. I do know that the grunt work of going through text and making a crosswalk is a PITA, so I'm offering to do the boring part.

I just feel like if I'm asking for something, I should be willing to put some skin in the game and help out. 

Here's an example of the code that spawns the spice fiends lair: https://bitbucket.org/tarkinsrevenge/tarkins-revenge/src/8a9768fdc29c8c3738e63593edab776586ac0ee5/MMOCoreORB/bin/scripts/mobile/lair/npc_theater/tatooine_spice_fiend_neutral_small_theater.lua

it's the missionBuilding referenced.  But you can't just sub in any object, because it won't be the right type of object to be destroyable.  New client files would have to be created, and they would need to be small enough objects to not block the NPCs spawning where they need to be.

image.png

THANK YOU! 

So, what I'm reading is the "buildingsDifficulty" chunk is what's used on the random spawns, and is non-destroyable, so it isn't as easy as just changing the missionBuilding entry to one of the other objects.

Is there a way to copy the tatooine_spicefiend_medium.iff and add destroyability?

I'm guessing that going into SUI and comparing the two objects might be the next step for me?

Maybe figure out the max volume of the power transformer and come up with other items that aren't bigger? 

SIE - yeah, they would copied, renamed, destroyability added (not that I have delved into exactly where that gets flagged), then serverside scripts would need to be added for each new object, and they'd need to be added to the crc table (client side) in order to work.

Is this something you'd mind me working on? 

Is it a PITA that's going to interfere with more important things? 

SIE is the new, better tool ?